Friday, March 11, 2016

The Beautiful Nothing

There's this girl in my neighborhood, just a couple of houses away. With all the beauty and the airs of a typical Delhi girl. I noticed her a few months back and I know I had kidnapped her attention too. On evenings, she's usually seen outside her house; playing badminton, hanging out with her bunch of friends or plainly taking a stroll on the road while she has an animated conversation on the phone.
I pass by her quite often and there's this exchange of glances and the familiar eye contact every time we're aware of each other's presence.
There's a raised plinth just midway between our houses where people usually sit and do nothing. I'm sitting on this plinth right now and writing this as she's walking to and fro in front of me talking over the phone. She crosses me every time at a hand's reach in her 30 feet lap. This moment right now cannot be better. A beautiful wind is caressing Delhi and the street lamp lit road is filled with fallen leaves from the gigantic jamun tree overshadowing this our small vicinage.
Our eyes meet every time and although our lips do not smile acknowledging each other, our eyes do.
This is a  mamihlapinatapai moment!!!
All it takes me is 10 seconds of courage, but I'll never take the first step and go talk to her. It'll ruin this beautiful nothing...
Today, I like everything of the little I know and see about her. Why risk it?
Maybe I'll never know her name or what she does. Tomorrow we'll move to different places and wouldn't even recognize each other if we happened to cross each other's path later in life.
There's an off-centric beauty in this and I'll never ruin this beautiful nothing...

No comments: