Friday, December 15, 2017

When at powercut

Power cut!!! And when at 4am your ac and fan suddenly go dead, you wake up in Thar in summer solstice. My British friend is sleeping in the other room, probably all sweaty. Now I feel unnecessarily guilty as well, dayum. My neighbour texts me from the opposite apartment. "Kya karen?"...
So the demographic of my whole apartment building is like 5 single ladies, one ancient couple (very old, I mean) and their equally old servants, one invisible doctor family and an ever changing group of hipsters! So basically, I'm the man of the building. Or so I like to think.
Now when a lady texts you "Kya karen" at this panic situation, you need to understand it's your cue to get into action. Well this lady is a true blue pedigree Delhiite. And they're not used to power cuts. And if it happens, there better be a good reason and it better be settled fast.
Now from where I am, power cuts are routine. I'm used to a different culture. In Dibrugarh, if electricity goes, nobody questions. They just wait for an hour. And like clockwork, power does resume after an hour. Almost every house has an inverter nowadays.
I open my windows and the thumping of these rich people's gensets reach my bedroom. Delhi likes everything loud. From their Enfields with customised 'silencer' pipes, their make up and now even their electricity back-ups!
My neighbour texts again. "This is not done".
So I get up from bed, make a call to #BSES customer care and lodge a complain.
I am informed that the whole of Hauz Khas and Green Park is suffering a black out. And by the time I finish writing probably it'll be back..................
Nope....
Still nope.... No sign of it!
Well, maybe by the time I post it, electricity will be back. And so if you live in this 'posh' area and suffering from this black out, 9Gag and chill for a while and it'll be back...
I'll just take my dog out for a walk!!!

No comments: