Friday, January 31, 2014

The booked Booker...

Well yes, I had a BIG crush on her. Punjab body size. Her erudite yet piercing large eyes did the entire trick. Who cares if she’s 46 now? (and if the comment that’s taken birth in your mind right now is ‘ek choti si love story’, then I can very well understand brother, you’re cheaper than govt subsidised salt). Whatever, I was hoping she’d win this year’s Man Booker Prize, declared yesterday, for her “The Lowland”. Aye, I’m talking about Jhumpa Lahiri. And yes, just as the billion strong Indian populace thinks, likewise, she’s very Indian to me, though she was British by birth and American by heart and citizenship!!! Trust me; she’ll turn out to be the next Salman Rushdie...
Sadly, this was our last chance at the prize. Next year onwards, as the Booker is expanding out of its Commonwealth boundaries and going global, what I can guarantee my yellow Enfield on, is that US will be taking home all the subsequent prizes like they have a ration card for it... And considering India’s literary scene going David Dhawan style, (oh looks like, we can call it Rohit Shetty style too), it will be loud-mouthed to expect even a newspaper cut-out of a Booker trophy, at least for the next 10-15 years (that’s my finger-crossed expected time for this Chetan Bhagat fad to die down).
FYI, this year’s award went to New Zealand’s Eleanor Catton for her “The Luminaries”. And bloody barnacles, she’s brought down the record youngest age to win a Booker to 28!!! Sigh...

No comments: