Friday, January 31, 2014

The stalker...

Somehow you come to know when you’re being stared at, even if in a crowd. I felt it, a couple of hours back, when I boarded the metro from Rajiv Chowk. But when I looked up to see whose eyes they were, I didn’t expect it to be from a well dressed, pretty girl in her early twenties. 
I first noticed her looking at me when she got up from her seat to stand near the pole just in front of the door. And I was standing in my favourite spot, the corner near the doors. I thought she would get down. But she did not and I found it weird as it’s uncommon to see people giving up seats. I was playing Texas Holdem poker in my cell. But I couldn’t ignore the feeling of being stared at. I looked towards her a couple of times. She was unapologetic that she was staring. And that made me uncomfortable and I shifted my glance. Through the corner of my eye, I could see the angle of her lips craft a smirk. I scanned her, bottom upwards. Her toes had a unique nail paint pattern in two shades of blue. The first two toes of a foot were a different shade from the rest three toes. And the color reversed in the other foot. Other than that she was dressed normally in platform heels, jeggings and a shrug over a top. The blue nail paints from the toes were also seen in her hands but with some more intricate detailing done with stripes and dots on well maintained finger-nails. She wore her hair in a messy bun and had large expressive eyes with a hint of kohl.
Ten minutes went by and as my station arrived, I displaced myself a step from the corner I was standing to the front of the door. The door’s glass acted as a mirror against the darkness outside and I saw that she moved from her place and was standing next to me, in the corner which I had earlier occupied. I looked towards her to see if she had enough space to stand and this time she smiled at me. I smiled back. I wondered if I should return a “Hi”. But decided against it since I was getting down in a few moments. My station arrived and I got down.
Hands in the pocket of my jacket, I was unmindfully walking along the platform when I felt a soft punch on my back. I turned back to see her smiling face!!!
“What’s your name?” before I could gather the situation, she asked me.
I answered.
“Where do you stay?”
I answered about my lane as I thought maybe she stayed close by and maybe she’s seen me before.
“Actually this is not my station and I don’t stay here. I was just following you!!!”
And that was a big dhobi-pachaar to my senses. “Following you”!?!? Why would a girl follow me??? She was looking at me, expecting an answer.
“Well, err... em... I’m flattered.” That’s all that I could manage to say as we set out on our brief 10 minute conversation...

No comments: